Any word or any prep work being done for new DVC cabins?

Hey @bama_ed I inquired about accessible cabins after I made my reservation online by myself. I called in because I wanted to get noted that we're bringing our service dogs etc. The only accessible they had available was for hearing or sight which isn't what we need my mom and her friend just have some mobility issues and it's just easier for her to use a walk-in shower.

But the question I have is the representative said that all of the cabins have a ramp. Is this the case? I looked at some pictures and I don't see a ramp on some of them? Could it be that those are old and ramps are new
All of the Cabins do NOT have a ramp. Only a few do. The full list of what cabins are handicap accessible is somewhere. I believe it's staying the same for the new cabins. There are floorplans for the new cabins showing both a stairs layout and ramp layout for the accessible ones.

Hey @bama_ed I inquired about accessible cabins after I made my reservation online by myself. I called in because I wanted to get noted that we're bringing our service dogs etc. The only accessible they had available was for hearing or sight which isn't what we need my mom and her friend just have some mobility issues and it's just easier for her to use a walk-in shower.

But the question I have is the representative said that all of the cabins have a ramp. Is this the case? I looked at some pictures and I don't see a ramp on some of them? Could it be that those are old and ramps are new
I could be completely wrong on this but she may have meant all accessible cabins have a ramp. Like the hearing and vision ones. I *think* that might be true.

My advice would be for folks to book early, specify Accessible in the lodging request, and/or keep following up and checking if you don't get what you need.
Just to clarify... Accessible cabins is a separate booking category, as required by law. Making a "request" for accessible may not work and should not be relied upon if there is a definite need. The advice to keep checking is good, though one should make a "plan B" just in case because many folks who need accessible units do in fact plan/book early.

what we need my mom and her friend just have some mobility issues and it's just easier for her to use a walk-in shower.
If I recall, at least one of the preview videos showed a walk-in shower not a tub. WDW has been doing more of that in standard rooms lately, though unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a bookable category. Not sure about the ramps but the current cabins do not all have ramps. At this point I'd say the only way to guarantee a walk-in shower and an outside ramp is to book an "wheelchair accessible" unit.

Just to clarify... Accessible cabins is a separate booking category, as required by law. Making a "request" for accessible may not work and should not be relied upon if there is a definite need. The advice to keep checking is good, though one should make a "plan B" just in case because many folks who need accessible units do in fact plan/book early.

Absolutely! I'm glad to have you with me, @lanejudy .

That's why as I referenced there is a way to request a "handicapped accessible" room (of any kind) when you make a cabin reservation request via the Disney system:

1715990252485.png

As has been said prior, these are often in demand and may be booked up early and not available when later folks try to get them reserved.

A Plan B option is ALWAYS a good idea on the back side.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter